Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Tech Trainee


The classrooms these days have definitely changed from the days of chalkboard and old school projectors. This new generation is all about advanced tech and the media to keep us all connected. Even though most would consider me to be of that generation based upon my age, I find myself disconnected instead. This disconnect is the root of my nervousness of feeling like a novice. Often times I feel like a child being thrust into this adult world of bigger, better, and faster. For me, I was actually the generation that just missed having technology in the classroom. The only technology I ever witnessed was an overhead projector. I never even learned how to properly use the Microsoft Office tools.Now as I study to become a teacher in the year of 2015, there are instruments such as scanner codes at the bottom of testing sheets that automatically grade a student's paper. Tablets are being given to the students as a replacement for pen and paper. Presentations are being delivered through digital poster board. It's in this world I feel lost and confused. Several times I have had to have a student take the role of the teacher and lecture me on the ways of a smart board.  Its moments like these I feel I lose the respect of being a guide for these young learners. They see me as an 'idiot' to modern happenings and may not take me seriously as someone who can 'teach' them. I don't fear technology taking over my role, I fear it taking away my dignity as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment